If you are a young person in care at the moment, are leaving care or have experience of living in care in Ireland, or work with young people in care, we really hope you’ll find something on this site that will be of help and of interest. Please feel free to contact us
- Give a voice to what young people with care experience are saying
- Explain the rights of young people in care
- Give information, advice and support to young people with care experience
- Help people who work with young people in care to involve them more when decisions are being made about them.
We do this through..
- working directly with young people who are in Care or have Care experience
- working with organisations that work with young people in care
You can read more about our work in About Us
Latest Press Release
Latest Care Update
, 21st of October 2016
EPIC and Care Leavers Ireland today celebrate National Care Leavers Day hosting the third Annual Aftercare Conference entitled ‘Out On My Own’in George’s Hall, Dublin Castle.
The opening address of the conference was made by the President of Ireland Michael D. Higgins.
The President paid tribute to all of the Care Leavers of Ireland, and to organisations such as EPIC and Care Leavers Ireland for empowering young people to vindicate their right to participate in debate and decisions about their future.read more
Children & Young People in Care in Ireland*
* Source - TUSLA Child & Family Agency Statistics at March 2015
Total in Care
in Secure Care
without an allocated social worker
Relative Foster Care
without a written care plan
Life in Care
What is State Care?
- Foster Care- This is living with Foster Parents that care for children and look after you in their home
- Relative Care- This is living with a family member such as a Grandparent, Aunt, Uncle or another member of your family where they will care and look after you in their home.
- Residential Care– This is living in a house with other young people in care and residential care staff.
How can I be taken into care
In some cases parents are unable to cope due to illness or other problems, and they may agree to their children being taken into care. In such cases while The Child and Family Agency has care of the children, it must consider your parents’ wishes as to how your care is provided. The CFA must provide you with care as long as it’s required. Care Orders: There are a number of ways that the CFA (Tusla) work with children. The CFA may apply to the courts for a child to be placed in care. There are a number of different care orders: Emergency care order - maximum of 8 days in care Interim care order - maximum of 29 days in care but may be extended Full Care order - can continue up to age 18 Interim special care order - maximum of 28 days but may be extended Special care order - maximum of 6 months but may be extended.
Who will look after me while I am in care?
Can I choose where I live when I go into care?
What are my rights if I am taken into care?
Should I be allocated a social worker when I go into care?
What happens if I don't get a social worker?
What is a Care Plan?
What the team say..
I really enjoy the work with EPIC, because the young people that we meet are inspirational often despite their difficult situations. It’s fantastic to see how with encouragement and someone listening and believing in them how much young people have to say about their lives, and what they are capable of achieving…John
My work in EPIC involves helping young people who are in care or who have care experience to speak up about their lives. It is so rewarding to see young people having their say and realising that their voice matters .Joanna
We’re here for YOU - get in touch
EPIC Dublin Map
EPIC DUBLIN 7 Red Cow Lane Smithfield Dublin 7 Ph: 01-8727661/Fax: 01-8727652 Mob: 087-903 6598 (for texts)
EPIC Cork Map
EPIC Cork Millerd Hall, Millerd Street Cork Ph: 021 242 8434
EPIC Galway Map
EPIC Galway Westside Resource Centre Seamus Quirke Road Galway. Ph: 091 395 605
EPIC Limerick Map
EPIC Limerick c/o Limerick Social Services Centre, Upper Henry St., Limerick
Tel: (061) 514518