A global celebration of children in care – February 15th 2019
Get Vocal, Get Social, Get Involved
Care Day is the world’s largest celebration of children and young people with care experience. They deserve to be celebrated, on care day, and every day. EPIC is hosting several events around the country to celebrate children and young people in our care community. Check it out on https://careday.ie/
Terry Dignan, CEO of EPIC, said:
“EPIC is delighted to be spearheading this year’s Care Day 2019 on the 15th of February. It is an initiative of ‘5 Nations 1 Voice’ – an alliance made up of five children’s rights charities across the U.K. and Ireland: Become in England, EPIC in Ireland, VOYPIC in Northern Ireland, Voices from Care in Wales, and Who Cares? Scotland. This year we are also joined in our celebrations by The Netherlands, New Zealand and Australia. It is such an exciting and positive day internationally, and each year it is growing. Care Day is a day where we are asking you to show your support, get vocal, get social and get involved in celebrating the successes and positive achievements of those in care or with care experience.”
Conor, Care-Leaver and student said:
“CareDay promotes all the positive stories about care experienced people. There are so many negative stories out there. It is really important for us to be able to counteract the stereotypes”
We are delighted that Katherine Zappone T.D, Minister for Children and Youth Affairs will today formally launch Care Day at TU Dublin Tallaght Campus (Room 001) at 10.15am and following this the Children’s Ombudsman, Mr Niall Muldoon, will host an event at the Ombudsman for Children’s Office at 3pm. Both events are centred on children and young people with care experience, some of whom will speak and perform.
Be part of changing the story for children and young people in care and care leavers by spreading the word for Care Day 2019 and joining us through your participation in the celebration of this day.
You can show your support in the following ways:
- Attend one or more of our events (see attached or visit https://careday.ie/ ).
- (A) Take a selfie or group photo with a message of support, i.e.; “I support #CareDay19”
(B) Record a video of yourself and/ or your team saying “I support #CareDay19”
- Send it into EPIC via twitter @epicireland or post it onto our Facebook page
- Feel free to share it on your own social media using #CareDay19
- Update your twitter and Facebook profile frames by adding a twibbon now
Notes to the Editor
- EPIC is an independent organisation that works throughout the Republic of Ireland, with and for children and young people who are currently living in care or who have care experience epiconline.ie
- Care experience includes children and young people who are or were cared for by family members with the support of social workers; by foster carers; or children and young people from children’s homes and residential units.
For all media enquiries, or to arrange an interview please contact:
Terry Dignan, CEO of EPIC &/or Care Experienced young people.
Telephone: 01 8727 661 Mobile: 087 2370269
EPIC Empowering People In Care is a Company Limited by Guarantee, registered at 7 Red Cow Lane, Smithfield Dublin 7, D07 KX52.