‘ATTENTION CARE LEAVERS! CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH’
Celebrating the 3rd Annual National Care Leavers Day
IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 7th October 2015
EPIC and Care Leavers Ireland will host the 3rd annual, National Care Leavers conference on Thursday 8th October 2015. The event will take place at Farmleigh House, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8.
The conference is aimed at care experienced young people and professionals working in the sector.
Speaking ahead of the conference, Director of EPIC, Jennifer Gargan made the following comment:
“EPIC and Care Leavers Ireland are delighted to be hosting the third National Care Leavers conference. This is a youth-led conference where Care Leavers and practitioners learn and share knowledge with each other. Having a holistic approach to ensuring positive outcomes for young people includes all aspects of health: physical, sexual and emotional health including building positive relationships. This conference hopes to create awareness around all of these aspects. We hope this conference will be interesting, informative and inspiring to both young people and professionals.”
Noel Howard, Director of Care Leavers Ireland added:
“The conference’s strength is its ambitious scope around care leavers’ health in a holistic sense with many challenging aspects in the plenary sessions and workshops. The conference brings together care leavers and professionals which makes for a unique blend and is mutually beneficial. Care Leavers Ireland is proud to be associated with Ireland’s National Care Leavers Day.”
Notes to the Editor
- The conference runs from 9.00-16.30. Young people with care experience can attend this conference for free. Entry costs for professionals or other interested parties are €50.00 and students €25.00. To book your place, visit eventbrite.ie
- Care Leavers Ireland is a small niche charity founded in 2008 to make modest grants available to Care Leavers pursuing education/career paths. To date in 2015 Care Leavers Ireland has responded positively to over 70 applicants. This has been made possible by the continued support of TTM Healthcare but this support will not continue indefinitely and donations are always welcome. To make a donation to Care Leavers Ireland visit careleaversireland.ie.
- EPIC is an organisation that advocates for young people in care and care experienced young people. To make a donation, visit epiconline.ie
- EPIC’s previous research ‘My Voice has to be Heard: Outcomes for Young People leaving Care’ show that the mental health needs for young people increased over time, please see the following link https://www.epiconline.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Outcomes_for_young_people_leaving_care_in_North_Dublin_2012.pdf (accessed 24/09/15)
- A new report on the health outcomes for young people in care in Northern Ireland has just been published http://www.ofmdfmni.gov.uk/mind-your-health-report-october-2015.pdf (accessed 02/10/15) Positive factors identified as meeting the health needs of young people in care include: priority status for young people in care in their referral to services, placement stability and having a trusted adult to confide in.
Media interviews with the Directors and care experienced young people can be arranged for the day.
For all media enquiries, or to arrange an interview please contact:
Jennifer Gargan, Director, EPIC or Noel Howard, Care Leavers Ireland
Tel: 01 8727 661 Tel: 087 1331280
Mob: 086 607 3866